Apply to the MCM program
To apply to the Master of Communications Management program, please complete the online application here. The application deadline for October 2020 entry is July 31st, 2020. Please note that there is only one intake annually in October.
FLEXIBLE ADMISSIONS POLICY: Prospective applicants who do not meet the normal admission requirements should consult the program director, Dr. Terry Flynn, APR, FCPRS, to discuss how your work experience might be assessed to make up for insufficient standing in your undergraduate degree.
- A completed Online Application
- An Honours Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional degree from an accredited university with at least a B+ average and three years of full-time professional experience in public relations or a related field, excluding time spent in internships.
- One official transcript of academic work completed to date (including undergraduate and graduate if applicable, degrees and coursework from each university previously attended)
- Two confidential letters of recommendation, including one from the current employer. (If the applicant is an independent consultant or counselor, this letter can be from a current client or business partner).
- A personal essay (typed; maximum 500 words) explaining interest and suitability for the program, as well as demonstrated potential for completing the program.
- A portfolio of samples of best work, particularly those which illustrate strategic management ability, (e.g. public relations plans; marketing plans; crisis plans) in digital format.
- A personal interview with the Academic Director or Admissions Committee, either in person or via teleconference. The purpose of this interview is to ensure that the applicant is fully aware of all aspects of the program and the commitment needed for successful completion.
- Prospective applicants who do not meet the normal admission requirements should consult the Program Director to discuss how their work experience might be assessed to make up for insufficient standing in their undergraduate degree.
- Current curriculum vitae.
Please send all documentation to:
Communication Studies and Multimedia
Togo Salmon Hall 331
1280 Main Street West
Hamilton ON L8S 4M2
If you have any questions about the application, please contact Janice Vital at 905-525-9140 ext. 27534 or by email at email@example.com.
Fees and Expenses
Below is the cost you can expect during each residency/semester. All figures are given in Canadian dollars.
|APPLICATION||$110.00 (one-time non-refundable fee).|
|TUITION||Canadian, $4,348.83 and International, $5,259.24 (or as determined by the Board of Governors) per 3-credit course – cost per term is $8,697.66 and $10,518.48 for two courses. The full cost of the program is payable on a course-by-course basis and 12 courses are required to graduate.|
|MISCELLANEOUS FEES||$537.40 (Rate varies annually). Please see School of Graduate Studies Calendar, Section 5.|
|TRAVEL||Varies for each individual. Current program participants come from all over Canada.|
|MEALS||Health conscious meals are provided during the residency (including breakfast, lunch and coffee breaks). Some meals are provided during social events (usually 2 per residency).|
|ACCOMMODATIONS||Ranging from $99 – $150 per night plus local taxes (at nearby hotels).|
|LOCAL TRANSPORT||$40-45 each way to/from Hamilton International Airport. $80-100 each way to/from Toronto Pearson International Airport.|
|PARKING||If you have a vehicle for transportation to campus, the campus parking lot on the Sterling Street entrance is at a daily rate of $20.00.|
- The application fee can be paid directly online with your application using VISA or MasterCard
- Tuition and supplementary fees are paid directly to the Student Accounts & Cashiers in the Financial Services Department (Gilmour Hall – 209).